About WPTI – Workforce Field Building Hub
Since its founding in 2004, Workforce Professionals Training Institute (WPTI) has become the preeminent non-profit training and technical assistance intermediary for New York City’s workforce development community. The organization has trained thousands of workforce practitioners from over 350 programs and organizations that collectively serve over 500,000 jobseekers. As a standalone, non-political organization, WPTI provides an inclusive bridge among providers, funders and government agencies that contribute to building NYC’s workforce.
WPTI’s mission is to increase the effectiveness of people, programs, and organizations that are committed to generating pathways out of poverty through employment. This is accomplished through a three-tiered approach which strengthens capacity at all levels of the workforce development system: 1) Professional Training: Develop the skills and careers of practitioners; 2) Organizational Consulting: Maximize productivity of programs and teams; and 3) Systems Building: Create linkages, foster research and influence funding and best practice priorities
In 2016 the New York City Workforce Funders established under the auspices of WPTI, the Workforce Field Building Hub (“The Hub”) designed to unite and strengthen key stakeholders in the diverse and wide-reaching workforce development field. The Hub brings together key leaders from across the interdisciplinary and diverse New York City and national workforce community to identify common issues and solutions to build the field of workforce development. This work is funded through the NYC Workforce Funders, The New York Community Trust, The Fund for the City of New York, The Pinkerton Foundation, Altman foundation, Ira W. Decamp Foundation and The Clark Foundation
Due to its considerable impact to date and the diverse range of initiatives undertaken by The Hub, WPTI is now seeking a talented, keenly smart graduate intern for the Spring 2019 semester. The intern will assist with research and stakeholder outreach in support of a new initiative focused on assessing the state of career pathways and advancement opportunities for professionals in the workforce development field. The intern will report to and assist The Hub’s Managing Director.
The anticipated duration of the internship is February 4th, 2019 through May 10, 2019. The intern will be expected to work 12-15 hours per week, performing the work on-site at WPTI. Pending performance and available funding, the potential exists for the internship to extend into summer 2019. This is a paid internship opportunity.
Key | Essential Responsibilities
- Conduct research supportive of a project that will gather information on the career pathways of workforce development professionals in NYC (“Deep in the Trenches 2.0”). Activities will include:
- Contribute to literature review
- Conduct outreach to others who have conducted similar studies (in workforce development or other human services fields)
- Drafting survey questions
- Assist in the planning and execution of focus groups or roundtable discussions with key stakeholders and thought leaders to inform the survey that will be administered
- Contribute to other research undertaken by the Workforce Field Building Hub. Topics could include:
- Minimum wage increase – in NYC, New York State, other states/cities
- Leadership development
- Pricing of human services contracts
Candidate Profile | Competencies | Personal Qualities
- Enrollment in a graduate program of study, including social science disciplines (e.g., Sociology, Political Science, Organizational Psychology), public administration, or public policy;
- Experience conducting literature reviews or assessing and consolidating information from a broad array of sources;
- An interest or prior experience in human services, specifically the field the workforce development field, including best practices and emerging trends and public policy influencing the field;
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, including PowerPoint and Excel;
- Self-motivated and performance driven personality;
- A highly collaborative work-style with a strong commitment to teamwork
WPTI Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
WPTI is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment respecting for difference, and fairness, and guaranteeing the same rights to all its employees to ensure the fullest degree of success within the organization. WPTI provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religious creed, color, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law.
To express an interest in this opportunity, please forward a copy of your cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to: email@example.com. Please specify “Hub Graduate Internship” in the subject line.